Now I'm on my third week of holidays, sitting comfortably in front of the computer. I can hear birds chirping, and also the typing sound of the keyboard. It is this quiet. And I shall let my brain run a little.
I have no idea how my days were spent for the past few weeks. The time just passed. Nothing much is done in a day and without realising it's time to sleep. Although the days are repetitive, I still enjoy them a lot. I can spend time cooking, reading, sleeping and many many more.
While I was enjoying myself, I noticed how busy my dad is. He is with his phone most of the time. Cigarette lit every now and then. I look at him burning his own life away and I can't do anything. Stress causes the desire for more nicotine. More nicotine increases dependency on nicotine. The worst thing was, I was sitting in front of the tv in the living room like a zombie, staring blankly at the tv screen. Other than 'Daddy, don't smoke so much la', what else can I do? I feel so helpless. Whenever I told him that, he would say that why should he stop something he likes. Forget about the ridiculous 'theory' he made up last time -'Nicotine covers the lungs and protects them from infections'? Gawd! He always tells us that he knows what are best for us. Why didn't he do it for himself? From a source I read somewhere, smoking can reduce 14 years of life. I couldn't bear the thought of that. So, apart from saying 'Oh you should not do this', is there any other effective ways to advice smokers? I don't want to hear more 'You ask the government to stop selling cigarettes la'.
Yesterday I saw dad rushing towards the door and I asked a stupid question. 'Eh going out ar?' Actually, this is one of the ways to initiate a conversation and to show concern towards the others. His reply, 'Yea. Life is not as easy as you think.'. I remember every words by heart because that sentence made me feel so guilty. Am I not doing enough? Am I not doing my best? My heart looked at the brain, nodded.
There are so many phrases about life. Life is blah blah blah. Whatever it is, life goes on. We have to learn to accept and cherish every moment we have.
No comments:
Post a Comment